What do you mean editors don’t think they can sell the epic, decade-spanning horror slash literary mashup of the painting my Grandma found in Albuquerque that carried the soul of a young girl who died in a fire and haunted my grandparents for years and whose creepy portrait now resides in my Dad’s work shed? It’s genius.
Alas, publishing is a business and even the best (ahem) books face mighty barriers to those coveted bookshelves thanks to ye olde dollars and cents. This week, we dive into the business of publishing and other lit links to end your week.
- Read all about publishing P&Ls (Profit & Loss statements), the reason why publishers may have decided to pass on your novel. Sad violins.
- If the first link sends you into despair, take heart with this series of depressing graphs for writers.
- But things look rosy for these authors who are on The Millions list of Most Anticipated: The Great Second-Half 2015 Book Preview.
- On an unrelated note, if you haven’t made your summer vacation plans yet, you could do worse than visiting these glorious literary landmarks across the U.S. of A.
- Fans of southern literature can hop in the car to check out spots along the The Southern Literary Trail.
- And no visit to Boston would be complete for lit lovers without an amble through the highly walkable Boston Literary District.