I’ve been feeling a little left out lately. Come to my lunch table. Come sit with me. I am so alone. It’s sobering to realize that even at my freakishly old age, all those feelings from high school of not belonging, not fitting in, of being dangerously, tragically different, never go away. WTF.
I work in IT, that mecca of freaks and geeks, so you’d think I’d know by now that I’m not really alone in the universe. Alas, the left-out soul in me is stubborn and likes to cling to her pain. But it doesn’t have to be this way. What I need to do, and what you need to do if you are also feeling this way, is embrace your inner freak and geek. I have some links to help you out!
- Revel in your geekhood with some of these great geeky YA novels. Dungeons-&-Dragons-loving geeks taking a road trip anyone?
- There are freaks and geeks, and then there are nerds. But nerds are the best because as John Green said, they are “unironically enthusiastic about stuff.” Check out some of these nerd non-fiction titles, for nerds of all ages.
- Unironically enthusiastic Veronica Mars nerds will enjoy the teen super-sleuths and supernatural mysteries in these Veronica Mars-like comics.
- If you are still feeling like you don’t fit in here are 5 YA-Lit Misfits We Love.
- No celebration of the inner freak and geek in all of us would be complete without a debate about technology. This tech-savvy teen offers her perspective on E-books vs Print Books.