I’m counting down to the winter break over here because it’s my annual Binge Fest. That means more time to read, not wear professional pants, binge-watch addictive reality TV, and have Lord of the Rings and Band of Brothers marathons. But this year, I must meet a December 31 self-inflicted first draft deadline that I gave myself. This binge will require more alcohol and sweets.
We’re taking a day off next Friday for Christmas. See you all in the new year!
- If you’re looking for all the best books of the year, head over to Largehearted Boy, where he has compiled the mother of all “Best of 2015” lists.
- A New Year’s Resolution we at Dead Darlings can stand behind: Kill Your Characters! Or as author Kathleen McCleary calls it, which is much nicer
- James Patterson continues his generous gift giving this year and Awards Holiday Bonuses to 87 Independent Booksellers, which includes booksellers from two of our local favorites, Harvard Bookstore and Brookline Booksmith!
- Some well-meaning school teachers Bark, Beseech, and Implore students to ‘Use More Expressive Words!’ than “a boring word like ‘said’.” Other teachers respond: “Sometimes, Ms. Silveri asseverated, “‘she said’ is just the very best way to say that.” We agree.
- When you tire of reading — or more likely, if you’re me, writing — veg out in front of the TV with one of these 16 movies that star bookstores.