Ah, summer. The perfect season to eat soft serve, stretch out on the beach or lake shore, and read good books. Or you could sit inside the house in air conditioning and draw the blinds. Or sit in your favorite spot and lose yourself in a story.
Whatever your preference, this week’s links offer a selection of books for your next beach or lazy day reading spree.
- First, start with this list of Underrated Books, according to the Buzzfeed Reader Community.
- “These ghosts do not need to rattle chains and howl; they may not necessarily scare, but they manage to haunt, long after the pages have been turned.” The top 10 (unconventional) ghosts in literature.
- Go down south and get dirty with these rural noir picks.
- Fancy a little romance? Christian Grey isn’t the only billionaire in a romance novel. Perhaps one of these billionaires will do.
- If you’re really stuck, check out Kirkus Reviews’ guide to which of the week’s bestsellers to Buy, Borrow, or Skip (dayum!) this week. You can sort by Fiction, Non-Fiction, Children’s, or Teens.
- You’re not just beach reading; you’re preserving culture. Remind people of that when they interrupt you. “Deep reading”—as opposed to the often superficial reading we do on the web—is an endangered practice, one we ought to take steps to preserve as we would a historic building or a significant work of art.”