April is the cruelest month. It’s also National Poetry Month, flu season, and prom season. I actually boycotted my senior prom. At the time I thought of it as a statement (no bourgeois corsage and prom dress for me!), but eons later I still feel the pinch of having missed out on one of life’s pivotal events. So I’d like to celebrate proms past and future, flu season, and poetry with these April-themed YA links. Cheers!
- These International Stories in Verse for National Poetry Month are just part of the fantastic rebirth of the novel in verse that is happening in young adult literature.
- If you’re feeling like April is cruelest month or fighting off the flu, you might want to take one young adult novel and call me in the morning. But more seriously, doctors will soon be able to prescribe young adult novels to teens struggling with depression, eating disorders, and other mental health issues.
- Every prom needs a theme so here are 7 YA Books That Would Make Excellent Prom Themes. Personally, I’d love to attend The Night Circus themed prom and be carried away in “a caramel-scented haze of spells and charms.”
- Not all proms are fun (remember Carrie?). Check out this “truly magical night where everyone just sits against the wall” inspired by The Perks of Being a Wallflower and other Truly Terrible (or Awesome?) Prom Themes Based on Books.
- I’m going to let you in on a little secret. The thing I miss most about not going to my senior prom is not the dancing, or the romance. It’s never getting a prom dress. But being a helicopter prom-mom and accompanying my daughter on her various prom dress quests helped a bit as do these 27 Prom Dresses: Gowns Inspired By Our Favorite YA Novels.